Re: Reimbursement to Study Participants David Ross 03 Jul 2002 14:05 EST

Hi Deb,

We had a similar type project with approx three thousand
participants. A small piece of advice when dealing with gift
certificates or gift cheques:  These are essentially bearer
instruments as they do not designate a payee.  Program directors who
purchase large quantities of these instruments need to have some
institutional oversight placed upon them as they could easily keep
some for themselves or give them to friends.  Anyone who has
physical title (possession) of a bearer instrument can spend them.
If you are looking at a program using thousands of dollars worth of
gift certificates it could be an audit issue.  Make sure to document
the chain of possession from the time of purchase to the final
disbursement.  Have each recipient sign off on a check list when
they received the certificate. Include their social security number.
This way, you can verify what was purchased against what was
disbursed.

I hope this helps.

David

David Ross
Manager, Grants & Contracts
Office of the Assistant Vice President for Finance
Western Michigan University
240W-C Walwood Hall
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008-5456
(616) 387-8242  FAX: (616) 387-8276
E-mail: xxxxxx@wmich.edu

>>> xxxxxx@NORTHWESTERN.EDU 07/03/02 02:04PM >>>
Hi Deb,

American Express has "Gift Cheques" that you may purchase in
increments of
$20.  This will allow you to make one purchase via purchase order
at the
same time provide a convenience to the participants as they would
be able
to use them as they would a travelers check.  Since they are
"reimbursement" a participant can use them for gas, food etc.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Also, you  would issue one purchase order to purchase the chequest
At 09:49 AM 7/3/2002 -0500, Hansen, Debra wrote:
>Good Morning, All -
>
>We are about to embark on a very large research project,
enrolling
>thousands of participants, each of whom would be reimbursed $20
for their
>time and effort and travel costs relative to participating in our
>study.  The dilemma we are struggling with is "what is the most
efficient
>way to pay these participants?".
>
>Considering the total dollar amount and volume of transactions
relative to
>this activity, using "Cash" would be our absolute last resort.
Issuing
>thousands of $20 checks would cause a nightmare for our A/P staff
and
>outstanding check list, based on experience with other small
dollar checks
>issued to research participants.  We have explored using our local
Chamber
>of Commerce gift certificates, but a couple of our staff do not
like the
>fact that participants would have to use them to purchase
merchandise
>(i.e. can not take them to a bank and cash them in).  Etc.,
etc......

>Just wondering if any of you have used any other creative means
of
>reimbursing research participants?
>
>Thanking you in advance for any ideas suggested!!  Have a Happy
4th!!

>Deb
>
>Debra K. Hansen
>Director of Sponsored Programs and Fiscal Affairs
>Marshfield Medical Research and Education Foundation,
>a Division of Marshfield Clinic
>1000 N Oak Avenue - 1R3
>Marshfield, WI   54449
>715-387-9130
>xxxxxx@mfldclin.edu

available
>  via our web site at http://www.hrinet.org (click on "Listserv
Lists")

Daniel S. Rademacher
Grants & Contracts Administrator
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Northwestern University
645 North Michigan Avenue
Suite 1058
Phone (312) 503-2689