Re: Reimbursement to Study Participants Schoen, Alexander 03 Jul 2002 13:07 EST

Deb,

Your issue is one which many are dealing with.  The reason why cash is not
used is to prevent theft.  The same would be true for any kind of gift
certificate, card or voucher.  The reason the AP solution is used is that,
aside from being more secure, it gives you almost automatic tracking.

One other option is the establishment of a checking account at an external
bank.  This would need to be approved by your administration and Finance
department, but it would save A/P lots of work, and you could still track
the expenses.  The checks could be written by the study staff and authorized
by a specific person in your division.  In this way the patients would get
their funds at the time of the visit, without the usual wait for the check
processed through A/P.

You could deposit a certain amount every month or so into the bank - this
would be a check issued by A/P.

Alex
Alexander Schoen
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs