Re: Reimbursement to Study Participants Daniel S. Rademacher 03 Jul 2002 13:04 EST

Hi Deb,

American Express has "Gift Cheques" that you may purchase in increments of
$20.  This will allow you to make one purchase via purchase order at the
same time provide a convenience to the participants as they would be able
to use them as they would a travelers check.  Since they are
"reimbursement" a participant can use them for gas, food etc.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Also, you  would issue one purchase order to purchase the chequest
At 09:49 AM 7/3/2002 -0500, Hansen, Debra wrote:
>Good Morning, All -
>
>We are about to embark on a very large research project, enrolling
>thousands of participants, each of whom would be reimbursed $20 for their
>time and effort and travel costs relative to participating in our
>study.  The dilemma we are struggling with is "what is the most efficient
>way to pay these participants?".
>
>Considering the total dollar amount and volume of transactions relative to
>this activity, using "Cash" would be our absolute last resort.  Issuing
>thousands of $20 checks would cause a nightmare for our A/P staff and
>outstanding check list, based on experience with other small dollar checks
>issued to research participants.  We have explored using our local Chamber
>of Commerce gift certificates, but a couple of our staff do not like the
>fact that participants would have to use them to purchase merchandise
>(i.e. can not take them to a bank and cash them in).  Etc., etc......
>
>Just wondering if any of you have used any other creative means of
>reimbursing research participants?
>
>Thanking you in advance for any ideas suggested!!  Have a Happy 4th!!
>
>Deb
>
>Debra K. Hansen
>Director of Sponsored Programs and Fiscal Affairs
>Marshfield Medical Research and Education Foundation,
>a Division of Marshfield Clinic
>1000 N Oak Avenue - 1R3
>Marshfield, WI   54449
>715-387-9130
>xxxxxx@mfldclin.edu

Daniel S. Rademacher
Grants & Contracts Administrator
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Northwestern University
645 North Michigan Avenue
Suite 1058
Phone (312) 503-2689