Re: Conflict of Interest and Financial Disclosure Daniel S. Rademacher 28 Jun 2002 08:22 EST

Hi John,

At Northwestern University ALL faculty are required to annually report
Conflict of Commitment and Conflict of Interest regardless if they actively
seeking funding from outside agencies.  See the URL below:

http://www.northwestern.edu/research/policies/faculty-conflict.html

At the time of a new proposal or application to PHS or NSF NU's Office of
Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) requires a project specific
Financial Interest Disclosure. This is only applicable to PHS and NSF.

The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, however, requires that all
investigators submit a Conflict of Financial Interest for key personnel
regardless of sponsor or agency prior to our submission to ORSP.  We keep
these on file within our office as part of the proposal.  (I generally
include them with my submission to ORSP because it is easier to copy the
whole packet.)

Dan

At 05:53 PM 6/27/02 -0500, Baumann, John wrote:
>Our university currently explicitly requires the submission of financial
>disclosure statements for all DHHS/PHS and NSF applications.  We do not,
>however, explicitly require them for applications to other federal
>agencies, to private foundations or for industry contracts (although the
>IRB will require them via a vis FDA requirements and the contacts
>themselves frequently address this point).
>
>I am, however, increasingly uncomfortable with not requiring such
>disclosure for non-DHHS/PHS and NSF application.  I am, therefore, turning
>to you for guidance.  What are the policies/practices at your institution
>regarding the submission of financial disclosure statements?  Do you
>require them for all applications?  Grants and contracts?   Federal and
>private funding sources?
>
>Thank you.
>
>John
>
>John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
>Director
>Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
>University of Missouri -- Kansas City
>5100 Rockhill Road
>Kansas City, MO 64110
>
>816.235.1303 (v)
>816.235.6532 (f)
>xxxxxx@umkc.edu

Daniel S. Rademacher
Grants & Contracts Administrator
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Northwestern University
645 N. Michigan Avenue
Suite 1058B
Chicago, Illinois 60611