Re: release time question Michael Wetherholt 28 May 2002 11:47 EST

At Murray State University, I calculate release time like this. Our faculty
teach 4 courses per semester as we're not as research institution per
se.  So if a faculty member is receiving 1 three hour course release time
during a semester, he or she would be getting 25% release time for that
semester.  For a salary of $40,000 during the academic year I would
calculate the following:

$40,000/academic year (10 months at Murray State)/ 2 (for the semester
salary) = $20,000

$20,000 x 25% (for 1, three hour course) = $5,000 salary to be contributed
by Murray State including fringe benefits.

I have in certain situations calculated release time on a flat percentage
for the entire academic year. For example, a faculty member once wanted to
calculate the release time of 12% during the entire academic year.  Our
accounting office would prefer the other type of calculation but agreed to
the faculty's request so, $40,000 x 12% = $4,800 plus fringe benefits.

If a faculty is getting let's say one month release time during the
academic year, you could just use the 1/7, 1/9 1/10 figure depending on
what constitutes an academic year at your institution.

Hope this helps.

Michael