Re: Res. Asst. Medical Insurance Chaffins, Gary 28 May 2002 10:03 EST

Ruth;

It's a normal budget item for grants here; see:
http://orsa.uoregon.edu/web/proposals/budget/Proposals_Budget_fringe_benefit
s.html and scroll down to GTF Insurance and Fees for our current rates.

We are working to solve the NSF Fellowship issue now.

Gary Chaffins
Director, Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 - University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-5219
Voice  (541)346-2395
FAX   (541) 346-5138
E-mail xxxxxx@orsa.uoregon.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Ruth Tallman [mailto:xxxxxx@LEHIGH.EDU]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 12:12 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Res. Asst. Medical Insurance

Happy Memorial Day Weekend,

There is an on-going debate here about providing support, via university
funds, for graduate student medical insurance for individuals and their
dependants.  Part of the discussion is whether such charges would be an
allowable cost if charged to an externally funded project.  It seems
that Federal guidelines do not allow for federal funds to be used to pay
for dependant expenses.  However, I would appreciate comments from the
group on this topic.  In summary:  the medical insurance coverage would
be consistently provided to all graduate students through university
policy, it would be charged as an employee benefit rate, and it is
proposed that the coverage would include dependants.   Would such a
charge be allowable on a Federally funded project, except when expressly
prohibited (e.g. NSF Fellowships)?

Your input would be appreciated.

Ruth Tallman
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Lehigh University
526 Brodhead Avenue
Bethlehem, PA  18015
Phone:   (610)758-3024