Re: Intellectual property Jeff Myers 15 May 2002 09:37 EST

Amy:

This term is always present in ACS agreements for the Petroleum Research
Fund.  It is nonnegotiable as we and many others have tried (the language
is from their charter).  We accept ACS awards provided that the PI
anticipates no inventions and will not be using the award to co-fund a
project.  Obviously, you would have a big conflict with the Bayh-Dole
regs.  As you mention, one would want to think twice before accepting a
modest award under such terms if a project had significant
commercialization potential.

Jeff