Re: Herbert B. Chermside 15 May 2002 07:34 EST

There is no problem with multiple applications to any agency unless the
program announcement is specific that there is to be a limited number from
an institution.  (Small local agencies excepted -- there you go by "feel".)

The choice of which proposal(s) should represent the institution in a case
where there are limitations is one that falls squarely on academic
management: chairs and deans, unless some other assignment of authority is
specific to your institution.  The practice I've used with success has two
alternatives.

If we know of a "limited number" opportunity with reasonable lead time, we
forward it to the school(s) that might have an interest and tell them to
select candidate(s); if more than one school is involved we ask the deans
to work it out between themselves.  Sometimes the result is a collaborative
proposal between departments/schools; sometimes the result is one the deans
feel has the best measure of success.

If we get a proposal into the office where there is a limited number, we
make a couple of phone calls to see if there are any other proposals being
prepared for that opportunity, and if there are, we get academic management
to make the decisions under time pressure.

Not fancy, not very formal, but it works.

Chuck

At 01:45 PM 5/14/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>We are a small university with a relatively new Office of Sponsored
>Research.  As more and more faculty are becoming involved in sponsored
>research, I am running into the issue of faculty members competing for the
>same source of funding support.  Though I know each foundation and
>government agency has specific guidelines re this issue, I'm looking at how
>this is handled "in house"...in different Universities.  Thank you
>

>Diane W. Keller, Ph.D.
>Office of Research and Community Collaboration
>(570) 961-4778
>xxxxxx@ac.marywood.edu

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University