Re: Consultants (IRA 1099) vs Employees (IRS W-2) Wolterman, Ken (WOLTERK) 14 May 2002 13:00 EST

I shared this with our tax compliance person here at the University of
Cincinnati and here was his response:

In my opinion, the accounting department in Alabama's scenario is being too
conservative.   They are correct in being CAUTIOUS about issuing a W-2 and a
1099-MISC to the same individual in the same year, but there's nothing
inherently WRONG with it.  It's just a "yellow flag" for a potential IRS
auditor to look for.  In UC's last audit, one of the things our auditors
requested was a list of everyone who got both a W-2 and a 1099-MISC in a
given year.

The judgment will be based primarily on the nature of the work being done,
and whether people in similar roles are being treated as contractors or
employees.  In the Alabama case, I'd have no problem putting Dr. X on a
contract for the 5-day stint of seminars.  The fact that Alabama later hired
him as an employee shouldn't affect that, as long as the nature of his
full-time work (they didn't say what it was) is different, and other people
doing that same kind of work are treated as employees.

When we run into this situation here, I ask the department to document the
type of work the person has done as our employee, vs. the type of work
they've done as a contractor.  The more different, the better.  A biology
professor who contracts with us to tune pianos is a slam-dunk, and would
have no problems passing IRS muster.