Re: Taxable Fellowship Stipends? Jeff Myers 11 Apr 2002 13:44 EST

Marie:

According to the guidelines we generally follow, fellowships are considered
compensation and are taxable if there obligations associated with the
award.  Obligations could be current or future service requirements such as
conducting research, teaching in a certain location, practicing medicine in
underserved rural area, or a requirement to pay back the award if you do
not complete your program of study, etc.  In short, the fellowship should
be a scholarship to be tax free.  Even if it is not compensation there are
other IRS requirements including being a degree candidate, an absence of
restrictions on items of expenditure, and the extent to which the funds
cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies (the excess may be taxable).

NACUBO has a detailed publication on this issued in February, 2001 written
by Diane Cornell and Mary Rauschenberg.

Jeff Myers
Southern Illinois University