Re: Document Imaging Herbert B. Chermside 08 Apr 2002 08:25 EST

This is a situation-specific matter.  Most federal agencies accept
electronic images for most transactions.  Individual institutions have
varying policies, and state institutions may have to bow to state
regulations.  Federal and state laws have been passed enabling electronic
copies to be official, but implementation, for obvious reasons,  depends on
systematic adoption of appropriate technology.

My practical advice on electronic images is that they always be kept in
files that are routinely backed up, with backups kept where a disaster in
one location will not destroy all backups.  Your institution IT people can
advise on this.  Just don't keep the only copy on your own five year old
desktop!

Chuck

At 08:11 AM 4/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Are there restrictions on the type of sponsored project-related documents
>that can be maintained in a document imaging system, as opposed to in
>hard-copy form?
>
>--
>John M. Cavendish, Ed.D., J.D., CRA
>Associate Professor
>Occupational Therapy Program
>Shenandoah University
>Winchester, VA 22601
>540-665-5563

>Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas.
>Experience the convenience of buying online with xxxxxx@Netscape!
>http://shopnow.netscape.com/
>
>Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at
>http://webmail.netscape.com/

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568