Re: Directors of Sponsored Programs Offices--Chair of IRB? Jon Elizabeth Hart 03 Apr 2002 16:37 EST

I serve on our IRB in a non-voting capacity and I consider my presence to
be both to provide information to the Board and to provide a non-scientific
viewpoint.

It is a more or less widely held view that the sponsored programs office is
affected by the amount of funding brought into the institution (staffing,
space), and that the director has an interest in maximizing the funding and
minimizing the barriers.  It follows that he or she therefore would have an
interest in seeing protocols connected to grants approved in a timely
manner.  If you subscribe to this thinking, then being Chair of the IRB
would be clearly a perceived conflict of interest, whether or not it is a
voting position.

Joni.