Re: Directors of Sponsored Programs Offices--Chair of IRB? Rochelle Athey 01 Apr 2002 13:31 EST

Jim:  The Office for Human Research Protections is of the opinion that
Sponsored Programs personnel have a potential conflict of interest due to
their role in the university's research activity.  You might want to have
your boss review http://ohrp.osophs.dhhs.gov/references/findings.pdf,
Finding #48, which states OHRP's opinion on the matter.

I used to be a voting member of the IRB until the Findings document came out
about 1.5 years ago.  I am non-voting at this point.

Rochelle R. Athey
Associate Director
Research Services & Sponsored Programs
University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-2102
330-972-8311
330-972-6281 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Casey, James
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 11:24 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Directors of Sponsored Programs Offices--Chair of
IRB?

I have been approached by my boss to serve as the chair of our IRB
committee.  Aware of the potential for conflict of interest, how many of you
out there know of or actually are chairs of your IRB?  Please let me know if
you serve in a voting capacity or a non-voting/ex-officio capacity.  Feel
free to email me directly at xxxxxx@bradley.edu if you want.
Thank you.  Jim
James J. Casey, J.D.
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Project Manager, Center for Agribusiness and Agrotechnologies
Bradley University
117A Bradley Hall, 1501 W. Bradley Avenue
Peoria, IL  61625
(309) 677-3997
Fax  (309) 677-4021
xxxxxx@bradley.edu