Re: NIH FIRST awards Charlie Hathaway 15 Mar 2002 10:02 EST

New R29s will no longer be awarded. (The main reason was that the budget limits on R29s made many kinds of research impossible to conduct with this mechanism.)

Old R29s will be funded until the end of the project period (there were never renewals of R29s).

IF...and this is a big IF...this post-doc is really ready to submit an R01-level application, she should be sure to check the "New investigator" box on the face page.  This will get her some special consideration as listed at:
http://www.csr.nih.gov/guidelines/newinvestigator.htm

She should also indentify, before submission, the most likely funding institute, and call someone there to discuss her proposal concept.  While, I am all in favor of R01s going to anyone who deserves them (theoretically, a junior high student could apply and get an R01), there are big "independence" issues surrounding these awards.  The R03 (and possibly R21) may be more appropriate for a junior person IF the appropriate NIH institute uses that mechanism and has a specific program for which the applicant's work would qualify.

Charlie Hathaway

At 10:58 AM 3/13/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all-
>I have a postdoc who asked me to search out funding opportunities, and she
>specified the R29 FIRST award as one she is interested in.  I did some
>searching and found seemingly conflicting information.  A notice from Dec
>1997 (http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/not97-238.html)
>states that NIH will no longer be accepting proposals under R29 (effective
>June 1998) and suggest using the R01 mechanism for new investigators.
>However, a 2002 activity codes list has R29 as a currently active code.  Am
>I misinterpreting this information?  If anyone can give me a heads-up I
>would appreciate it.
>Thanks,
>-Amy
>

>"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't
>read them."
>        -Mark Twain
>
>Amy Hibbard
>Grants Administrator
>Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences
>535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
>T: (909) 607-9313 / 607-7855
>F: (909) 607-8086
>xxxxxx@kgi.edu
>www.kgi.edu

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs