Re: Who can be a PI? Jon Elizabeth Hart 12 Mar 2002 09:50 EST

With regard to the question below, Rockefeller has a pretty laid-back
policy.  The person who is applying for a grant must be an employee or have
an approved appointment (i.e., incoming people).  Other than that:

These may apply:
Any full-time faculty:  Assistant, Associate, Professor rank; Research
Asst, Res. Assoc., Res. Prof.;
Postdocs; Predocs (for fellowships);
Senior Research Associates; Directors of Core Services (generally
instrumentation grants);
Director of Outreach Services (education grants); other Directors/VPs as
appropriate;
Emeriti, if they have an active lab (some do); the rest are provided with
offices and secretarial assistance, but may not apply for projects that
require lab space.

Adjuncts are not eligible.

We have one or two part-time people, who split their appointments between
our institution and another one.  Generally, in these cases the grant
applications are discussed by the faculty member with the President or his
representative and ironed out before they get to us.  (All of our faculty
report directly to the President, as do we.)  This is done on a
case-by-case basis.

Hope this helps.

Joni.