Re: Who can be a PI? Herbert B. Chermside 12 Mar 2002 09:43 EST

VCU has the following policy; note that "PI" involves two roles which may
be separated.

Any individual that academic management (chair and dean) proposes as "PI"
may be responsible for the "science" of a project.  This person need not be
a "VCU person" until the award comes -- else how could we submit grants
this spring for the new faculty member who will arrive next fall, just
before the grant does!

For a person to serve as "responsible person" on the project account (the
individual with the primary fiduciary responsibility), she must be an
employee of VCU because of the legal responsibilities of a state employee
in fiduciary matters regarding state funds (grants become state funds).

Usually but not always the two roles are the same, but they certainly can
be different: case in point is a research fellowship recipient who is NOT
an employee (fellowship is not an employer-employee relationship) and the
mentor/major professor or the department chair is the responsible person.

Chuck

At 09:11 AM 3/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been asked to request for responses to the following from RESADM-L .
>If you do not wish your response to go to the whole list you can send your
>response directly to me. Thanks.
>
>Here are the questions:
>
>Do you allow part-time faculty, adjunct faculty, retired faculty,
>post-docs, and other limited term appointees to submit grant proposals
>through your University?  Or do you just allow full-time faculty and
>full-time researchers to do so? If you allow others to apply, what process
>is used to make this determination?
>
>====================================
>Imeh D. Ebong, Ph. D.
>Director, Division of Research Development
>MS 0960 RP
>360 Huntington Avenue
>Northeastern University
>Boston, MA 02115-5000