Re: Internal Proposal Deadlines/SRO Lead Time for Review Charlie Hathaway 08 Mar 2002 17:03 EST

Show me the intrepid soul who sets and strictly enforces a 10 day internal deadline and I will make my pilgrimage to that Campostela of sponsored projects office to praise and learn from this warrior, this visionary, this bodhisattva!

However, for a strict internal deadline to work you need Presidents and Deans willing to take off the gloves, and they won't do that unless the faculty is behind the idea, and the faculty won't be behind the idea unless they are convinced that all this extra time to "review" increases their chances of funding.  So, if all you propose to do is the usual budget and regulatory compliance kind of review, you aren't going to convince the faculty.

Do all grant applicants at your institution read RFA guidelines, follow guidelines during proposal preparation, write well, solicit critiques by experts in their specific area, solicit critiques by other scholars outside their specific area, budget time well enough so that these critiques can actually be used to change the proposal, proofread, and have numerous other grantsmanship skills and common sense?

No?  Then these are the kinds of things that you might promise (if not actually provide) in arguing for strict early internal deadlines.  The full argument will require some elegant math to convince the administration how improving the quality of 500 assistant professor submitted proposals over a 5 year period will result in enough $$ to more than compensate for the 5 full professor proposals who quit and take their grants elsewhere because you refused to sign their late proposals.

Charlie Hathaway