Re: Proportionally Crediting Awards Baumann, John 27 Feb 2002 15:20 EST

We split award credit and research incentive funds in several ways.

We have a research incentive fund (RIF)program that returns a proportion of recovered F&A to the school, department and investigator.  As per your specific question, if it is appropriate to the scientific involvement of the various parties, credit and RIF dollars can be split among various investigators -- a PI and one or more co-investigators -- regardless of whether they are in the same school or department. Determining the split is the responsibility of the relevant investigators, with department and/or dean approval.

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110

816.235.1303 (v)
816.235.6532 (f)
xxxxxx@umkc.edu

location: 5211 Rockhill Road

-----Original Message-----
From: Gardner, Ed [mailto:xxxxxx@OSU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 11:53 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Proportionally Crediting Awards

We have traditionally credited all award dollars (and pending proposals) to
the Principal Investigators primary department as identified on our internal
routing form. Recently a couple of our colleges have asked that we modify
that procedure to split the credit for awards among multiple
co-investigators and their designated departments based on percentage
allocation that would be agreed to on the internal approval form. Another
suggestion has been to allocate all award credit to the principal
investigators tenure department and not allow non-tenure granting
interdisciplinary centers to receive credit for awards. Does anyone split
award credit for a single award among multiple departments? Do you have a
mechanism for crediting an interdisciplinary center and an academic
department for the same award activity?

...Ed
Edward J. Gardner, PhD, CRA
Director, Institutional Research Data Analysis
The Ohio State University Research Foundation
1960 Kenny Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone: 614-292-5416
Fax: 614-292-5913