Re: Use of Buy-Out Funds Mike McCallister 22 Feb 2002 15:33 EST

I've been in 3-4 different places and each has handled this issue
differently.  if you are talking about the differential between what
is charged for a researcher's time on a project and the replacement
cost for a lecturer to pick up classes from which the researcher has
been bought out, that's often called salary savings.  That money
usually ends up in the hands of the person who controls the budget
for that particular PI's payroll, be that a Dean, dept chair, or even
the budget officer for the entire university.  And generally there
are plans for using salary savings that have been made at a pretty
high level.  I make a run on those funds every time I can, though,
trying to make a deal for the PI before the award comes in.  In the
cases where I've had some luck, we've had no restrictions on how the
money is used.  Many places these funds never leave the Provost's
office and you are SOL in trying to get your hands on any of them.

Spanky

>We are looking at policies on the use of different categories of
>research-related funds, including from PI released time and would
>appreciate input from folks on the list. You can respond directly to me if
>you do not want your response to go to everybody on the list. Here is my
>request:
>
>Buy-out funds recovered from the released time of PIs are traditionally
>used to pay for replacement personnel covering the responsibilities which
>PIs would have covered if they were not working on grant projects. Does
>your institution follow this practice in all situations? Do you place any
>restrictions on the use of such funds for any other related activities?
>Please send me any written policies you may have regarding this issue.
>
>Thanks.
>====================================
>Imeh D. Ebong, Ph. D.
>Director, Division of Research Development
>MS 0960 RP
>360 Huntington Avenue
>Northeastern University
>Boston, MA 02115-5000
>
>Tel: (617) 373-8770
>Fax: (617) 373-8866

Mike McCallister, Ph. D.
 Director, Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 South University
Little Rock, AR 72204-1099
(v) 501-569-8474