Re: Consulting and Effort Kent Walker 14 Feb 2002 08:58 EST
Peter, I think this practice occurs more often than we administrators are
aware.  At UNC, when we know that another institution's faculty member is
performing as a "consultant", we try to ensure that his/her University has been
informed.  Obviously, a consultant's institutional affiliation is not always
provided during the proposal review process.  A subcontract to the other
institution would involve salary as an employee and a committment of effort and
often is not a satisfactory solution.  see ya.

"Dolce, Peter J" wrote:

> One of our PIs wants to engage a faculty member at another school as a
> collaborator.  That faculty member already has 90% of her effort committed
> to grant-funded projects, and the remaining 10% is not sufficient to make
> the proposed collaboration convincing to the proposed sponsor.  The solution
> proposed by the two investigators is list the collaborator as a consultant
> for ~$20,000.
>
> Is it a common practice to use the consulting mechanism to engage
> collaborators whose is effort fully committed to other projects?
>
> Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
> Office of Research Support Services
> Meharry Medical College
> 1005 DB Todd Boulevard