Re: Privacy in human subject research Baumann, John 08 Feb 2002 17:38 EST

This is not related to HIPAA -- it is a fairly old NIJ requirement.  And yes it does mean that you have to get all subcontractors/collaborating institutions to agree.

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110

816.235.1303 (v)
816.235.6532 (f)
xxxxxx@umkc.edu

location: 5211 Rockhill Road-----Original Message-----
From: Elaine Young [mailto:xxxxxx@UMBC.EDU]
Sent: Fri 2/8/2002 10:24 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Privacy in human subject research

	Yesterday, I attended a COGR presentation on the proposed HIPAA regulations
	and how they might affect human subject research in the future.  The rules
	are still being written and are not to be effective until at least April
	2003.

	Today, I returned to my office to be presented with a rather onerous
	"Privacy Certificate and Confidentiality Requirement" from the U.S.
	Department of Justice that must accompany an application that one of our
	researchers is proposing.  It states that "NIJ, as a matter of policy,
	requires that Privacy Certificates be submitted as part of all
	applications..."

	The form requires the University to certify a number of items, including one
	indicatiang that subcontractors have agreed in writing to comply with all
	privacy procedures.

	Has anyone had a similar experience?  Is NIJ jumping the gun?  I'm not sure
	the institution can agree to ALL the certifications required.

	Thanks

	Elaine Young, Ph.D.
	Assistant Vice Provost for Research
	1000 Hilltop Circle, Admin 204