Re: 424 fillable form Joe Titone 07 Feb 2002 13:58 EST

While it is correct that you can't save a pdf form with just the Acrobat
Reader, here is something worth considering (it comes from a very respected
tech email letter):

Coming from the "Truly Portable" Department, Lockergnomie Bruce Kunkle
comes up with a way to grab pesky PDFs. We've talked about the Portable
Document Format before -- it's awesome for both writers and readers. More
and more Web teams have turned to this format for the quick and clean
distribution of information. But, as this Gnomie illustrates, sometimes it
ain't so easy. "You're reading a PDF file and you want to save it on your
hard drive for offline viewing, but the 'save' command is grayed out in the
file menu. Here's a slick work around. Click File, Send, and e-mail the
page to yourself. The e-mail will arrive in your Inbox with the PDF file as
an attachment -- which you can then save wherever you wish." That's one
trick you shouldn't soon forget. It may also be possible to take a step
back and right-click on the link to the PDF document. That "Save Target
As..." option is a godsend for people who love to download stuff; it's what
I use for every ZIP or EXE file on the Web. I know the option isn't
available in HTML e-mail messages, which is EXACTLY why we upload each
mailed issue to the Web and place a direct link at the bottom of each
mailed newsletter. See, we're not so dumb after all.

I haven't been able to test this since I don't have access to a pc with
just the Reader installed.