Re: Addl Pay for Remote Research Duty-Is it legal? Emmanuel Osagie 04 Feb 2002 16:44 EST
From my understanding of A-21, your PI may not be consulting across
departmental lines but what he is doing is remote or separate from his
contractual obligations. According to A-21, this is an exception and
extra-compensation above the base salary is allowable if approved by the
sponsoring agency.

As a rule, it is also implied that such extra work should be incidental
rather than routine. If it becomes routine, the institution may want to
reassign this PI from some of the contractual institutional load to
research work on the particular project.