Re: Subcontracts to Sandia National Labs Herbert B. chermside 25 Jan 2002 11:44 EST

Len, we have no experience contracting in that direction, but in the
opposite direction we have had the situation where federal agencies want us
(a state institution) to indemnify them, which our AG does not allow
(claiming sovereign immunity), and the feds always back down, though it may
take getting to the senior counsel for the agency/installation.  Can you
get your AG to back down, based on the argument that Sandia, being federal
(actually a GOCO, if I remember right, but "federal" for this purpose)
cannot indemnify because the federal government exercises sovereign immunity?

Good luck!

Chuck

At 08:07 AM 1/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>We have been experiencing some problems in negotiating a subcontract from
>the UCONN Health Center (a state institution) to Sandia Labs.  The problem
>appears to be rooted in Sandia's unwillingness to accept the terms and
>conditions of the State of Connecticut's "Personal Services Agreement", a
>legal document required by CT's Attorney General's Office for all contracts
>where state money flows to a subcontractor.  Although I do not have a
>complete list of Sandia's objections, some of the problems we have
>encountered are demands for pre-payment, the need to use certain U.S.
>government contractual language in the subcontract to Sandia, and CT's
>insistence that the subcontractor indemnify the State of CT.
>
>Is there anyone on the list from a State institution who has experienced
>similar problems with national labs, and has successfully negotiated
>agreements?  If so, we would be grateful for an opportunity to speak with
>you.
>
>Leonard P. Paplauskas
>Associate Vice President for Research Administration
>University of Connecticut Health Center
>ASB-3, MC5355
>Farmington, CT   06030-5355
>xxxxxx@adp.uchc.edu (external e-mail)