Re: contract Review Herbert B. chermside 24 Jan 2002 12:19 EST

At VCU the Office of Sponsored Programs reviews all agreements for
sponsored programs (note "agreements" includes grants, contracts, and other
sponsorship documents).  If we have questions or need guidance, we refer to
our General Counsel.  I have worked with David (GC) for many years, so we
have a very close understanding -- both of principles (he always explains
why, so we can generalize) and of our office's need for rapid response.  I
have developed guidance for my staff, including some written things
(including drafts of responses as to why we do not accept clauses of one
nature or another) and some instructions as to key words to look for to
detect land mines.  Sounds informal, but it works.

Chuck

At 09:49 AM 1/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>This question is directed  to Sponsored Programs Offices who
>administer contracts -
>
>How do you handle review of contracts in your office and when, if ever,
>does your institutional attorney(s) become involved in the review of same?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Mary Watson
>Mary H. Watson
>Director, Grants and Contracts
>Room 215, Regional Center for Continuing Education
>Valdosta State University
>Valdosta, GA  31698
>
>229-333-7837 (phone)
>229-245-3853 (Fax)