Re: Faculty Overload Pay Jeff Myers 22 Jan 2002 11:09 EST

This came up at our institution and caused a lengthy discussion some years
ago.  An upper administrator eventually sought advice from an outside
auditor who interpreted applicable sections of A21 as allowing pay beyond a
regular load if an institution has a policy providing such
compensation.  For example, if an institution has a policy providing for a
13th month of pay in certain circumstances then it's allowable.  We read
the same section and argued that it wasn't, but the auditor said that since
the "continuous period" was defined by the "policy of the institution" it
was OK if your policy provided for it.  You just needed to be consistent
and could not charge a higher "rate" for a given time period.  The auditor
believed that if the extra time/work was put in then compensation was
allowable for that extra time/work if the compensation rate was the same
(and it was part of your comp. policy).

I don't necessarily agree with the interpretation and there are all sorts
of other potential problems.  We did not implement such a policy but I
thought this alternative interpretation was worth sharing.

Jeff Myers
SIU