Re: Modular Grants Mike McCallister 20 Nov 2001 15:14 EST

I agree with this, too.  We have to have a pretty god budget to get
the Dean's signature as well as the Provost's, etc.  Also, if they
don't have a decent budget, the PI's rarely know how much to request.

Spanky.

>In priniciple I agree with the idea of never requiring things the
>sponsor does not require. On the other hand, if a reasonably
>detailed budget is not done, how do you arrive at the MTDC in order
>to calculate the proposed F&A costs?
>
>Steve
>
>Keith Williams wrote:
>
>>  Roberta,
>>
>>  We have just changed the policy at my institution: for a trial
>>period, we will not require faculty to submit detailed budgets with
>>modular proposals.  This is the way they wanted to go, so we struck
>>a deal.  The responsibility for using the correct fringe rates and
>>requesting an adequate number of modules will rest with the
>>PI/Department.  We are a small school with a minimal sponsored
>>programs staff, so we divert some administrative burden to the
>>faculty anyway (or at least we try to) out of necessity.  Of
>>course, we still offer any assistance they might need with budget
>>calculations.  At the time of award, we will require a correct,
>>detailed budget before releasing funds.
>>
>>  In my personal opinion, it is hard to justify requiring something
>>(a budget) that the agency does not, and, in either scenario, the
>>PI is ultimately the person who should best know what funds are
>>required for the proposed science.  As with other "just in time"
>>elements such as updated Other Support and IRB approval, the PI can
>>supply the budget once (s)he knows that funding is likely.
>>
>>  >"Roberta C. Nary" wrote:
>>  >
>>  >> We are looking at our current procedure that requires PI's to
>>submit a line
>>  >> item budget for internal purposes, when submitting a modular grant
>>  >> application. We are contemplating streamlining this process to eliminate
>>  >> the line item budget request at the time of application, but
>>rather provide
>>  >> it at the time of the award.  At the time of submission they would be
>>  >> required to provide the modular amount for year 1 and the out years,
>>  >> identify costs that affect the amount of the module, that is if
>>there is an
>>  >> increase/decrease in the modular request from one year to the next,  and
>>  >> identify costs that affect the F&A calculation.
>>  >>
>>  >> We be interested to hear from both sides, that is, those who do
>>require an
>>  >> internal budget at the time of application and those who do not
>>require an
>>  >> internal budget at the time of application.  For those of you who do not
>>  >> require an internal budget at the time of application,  I would be
>>  >> interested in knowing how it works at your institution.
>>  >>
>>  >> Thank you
>>  >>
>>  >> Roberta C. Nary, CRA
>>  >> Director
>>  >> Office of Sponsored Programs MS 116
>>  >> Brandeis University
> [...]

Mike McCallister, Ph. D.
 Director, Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 South University
Little Rock, AR 77204-1099
(v) 501-569-8474