Re: Modular Grants Jon Elizabeth Hart 20 Nov 2001 14:40 EST

We have debated this at some length at our institution.  Our usual policy
is to be as flexible as possible and not to require anything over and above
what is required by the feds or the sponsor, as the case may be.  However,
we feel that it is our responsibility to make sure that the investigator
has adequate funding to cover the salaries and supplies for the
project.  If the faculty only give us the lump sum modular budget, we find
that they have a tendency to ask for less than they actually need, so that
it will "look good" in peer review.  When they then itemize their
expenditures, we find that their initial request doesn't cover their
costs.  Therefore we require them to do an itemized budget for internal
purposes.  We also use it to set up the award in the financial system, once
funded.

Joni.