Re: Modular Grants Baumann, John 20 Nov 2001 12:43 EST

We currenty require the PI to submit a line item budget at the time of
submission.  This budget is reviewed and signed off on by Dept. Chair,
Dean and SPRS.  We do this largely in order to insure that all the
involved and potentially affected parties know and approve of the PI's
proposed commitments.

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110

816.235.1303 (v)
816.235.6532 (f)
xxxxxx@umkc.edu

location: 5211 Rockhill Road

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberta C. Nary [mailto:xxxxxx@BRANDEIS.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 2:31 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Modular Grants

We are looking at our current procedure that requires PI's to submit a
line
item budget for internal purposes, when submitting a modular grant
application. We are contemplating streamlining this process to eliminate
the line item budget request at the time of application, but rather
provide
it at the time of the award.  At the time of submission they would be
required to provide the modular amount for year 1 and the out years,
identify costs that affect the amount of the module, that is if there is
an
increase/decrease in the modular request from one year to the next,  and
identify costs that affect the F&A calculation.

We be interested to hear from both sides, that is, those who do require
an
internal budget at the time of application and those who do not require
an
internal budget at the time of application.  For those of you who do not
require an internal budget at the time of application,  I would be
interested in knowing how it works at your institution.

Thank you

Roberta C. Nary, CRA
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs MS 116