Re: In Kind Documentation Gregory Schmidt 16 Nov 2001 20:20 EST

A person working on a project as a volunteer can be claimed by the institution as in-kind
matching.  If the person is receiving a salary/wage for work performed on the project,
but those expenditures are not being charged to the sponsor, you have cost sharing (much
easier for accounting to document)..

In-kind donated effort must be documented in a similar fashion as regular hourly
employees.  That is by time cards, or similar, signed by a supervisor.  The value placed
on that effort is determined by the function that person is performing and the area's
going rate per hour for that activity, not the individual's salary.  You can't claim Bill
Gates' hourly rate if he were to donate time as a tour guide in an art exhibit.  In the
event the person is providing gratis a professional service (medical exams, for example),
then you can use their usual and customary costs for an exam.  Documentation of each
individual seen, or service rendered, must be kept.  In each example, the valuation must
be documented.

Greg