Re: Pre-award vs. post-award Baumann, John 08 Nov 2001 14:29 EST

At UMKC, "pre-award" and "post-award" activites are within the Office of
Sponsored Programs & Research Support and we report to Vice Provost for
Research.  We do not call it pre and post award, however.  We are
organized into Proposal/Program Support and Budget/Accounting Support.
Members of each work at both pre and post award stages.  That beijng
said, it is certainly the case that folks in the former tend to spend a
disproportionate amount of time doing traditionally pre-award stuff and
those in the later doing post-award stuff.

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110

816.235.1303 (v)
816.235.6532 (f)
xxxxxx@umkc.edu

location: 5211 Rockhill Road

-----Original Message-----
From: Valrey Kettner [mailto:xxxxxx@NDSU.NODAK.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 1:24 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Pre-award vs. post-award

Greetings from North Dakota State University!

I know this question has come up in the past, but I'd like to revisit
it,
with your indulgence.

How is the post-award accounting for sponsored programs handled at your
institution?  Is it part of the pre-award office (under a VP for
Research)
or is it separate (under a VP for Business & Finance)?

For those of you that have gone from one model to another, either at
your
present institution or from one institution to another, what are the
primary issues/concerns/advantages/disadvantages?

Currently at NDSU, the two offices are separate and report to different
VP's.  We are in the same building, but our research enterprise will be
moving to the Research and Technology Park in the next few months.  This
presents some interesting questions.  What makes it even more
interesting,
is that currently the post-award accounting office reviews all the
proposal
budgets prior to our review, approval and sign-off.  While we are in the
same building this doesn't pose a problem.  But once the research
pre-award
offices move, it becomes a logistical nightmare and severely impacts our
customer service.

I'm truly interested in hearing how other institutions have structured
their organization for pre- and post-award.  We are anxious to learn
from
our peers!

If you would like to reply directly to me, I can post a summary of the
feel
free to give me a call at (701) 231-9608.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Valrey V. Kettner
Assistant Vice President
Sponsored Programs Administration