Re: Gift vs. Grant BOB 22 Oct 2001 13:42 EST

You never had a Gift to build a specific building or endow a specific
faculty chair?  Or are we confusing "how the funds will be spent."  Do some
infer this to mean the ultimate purpose of the gift, and others are
thinking line item budget?

Here at Michigan, I suspect, very few gifts are given in an unrestricted
mode.  Most often the  gifts are for specific purposes -- scholarships,
athletics, this school or department or that, this chair or that, some
building fund or the other, the President's salary bonus fund, or for some
specific faculty members general research.

Also be careful of saying gifts require no reporting.  I suspect our
colleagues in the development office would say that good stewardship
requires a certain amount of reporting on how and when the funds are used.

Of course most "gifts" come from individuals and very few of them are
giving grants for sponsored projects, nor do we get gifts from government
agencies (although one program office, many years ago said that he though
federal research grants were just gifts for us to do with as we wished,
long before A-21 and CAS).

Thus the set of givers that present us problems are industry (they all want
to give gifts that have no indirect cost, of course) and foundation/public
charities.  Within this domain of institutions it should be easy to
differentiate between gifts and grants.

Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu
-----
--On Monday, October 22, 2001 2:00 PM -0400 Elaine Young <xxxxxx@UMBC.EDU>

-----

-----
> At 01:40 PM 10/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>> Also - a gift does not specify how the funds will be spent.

---