Re: Award Caps: Are They Proposal Caps Barbara Gray 03 Oct 2001 11:06 EST

Jim,

Suggestions:  Check into the local government's procurement regs--whether
they were applicable to this particular project and how they address a bid
over maximum advertised.  I know in SC, if the state issued such an RFP,
the $725k would have been deemed unresponsive and would not have been
considered.

Did the other group come in under $1.5 million for the entire three-year
period?  If so, there may be some stipulation in the local procurement regs
that allowed this.....then again, there might not be....

Barbara

"James R. Brett" wrote:

> Recently, we sent a proposal sent to a local governmental health agency
> which had advertized a $500k maximum award per year for three years.
> The funds were also described as federal flow-through.  The competing
> proposal was for over $725k first year cost (per funding agency).  The
> other proposer won the grant.
>
> I believe that if these proposals had been submitted to NIH directly,
> the usual result would have been that the proposal which exceeded the
> award cap would have been removed from the competition without further
> review.  I do not know what point of law or regulation is active here,
> however.  If there is one, would it flow through with the funds?  Any
> other comments?
>
> Jim
>
> --
> James R. Brett, Ph.D., Director,
> Office of University Research
> California State University, Long Beach
> 562-985-5314  562-985-8665 fax
> http://www.csulb.edu/~research/

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/