Re: Award Caps: Are They Proposal Caps Landorf,Kenneth R. 03 Oct 2001 10:59 EST

This may have been "block" grant funding.  And the 500k cap was imposed upon
by the local group, not the feds.  The other thing to look at relates to who
the other applicant was and how close are tey to the funding group- like was
this a rigged competition??  I suspect if you pushed it would only create
animosity, not cement the future.

-----Original Message-----
From: James R. Brett [mailto:xxxxxx@CSULB.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 11:49 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Award Caps: Are They Proposal Caps

Recently, we sent a proposal sent to a local governmental health agency
which had advertized a $500k maximum award per year for three years.
The funds were also described as federal flow-through.  The competing
proposal was for over $725k first year cost (per funding agency).  The
other proposer won the grant.

I believe that if these proposals had been submitted to NIH directly,
the usual result would have been that the proposal which exceeded the
award cap would have been removed from the competition without further
review.  I do not know what point of law or regulation is active here,
however.  If there is one, would it flow through with the funds?  Any
other comments?

Jim

--
James R. Brett, Ph.D., Director,