Re: NIH subcontract budget limitations Kent Walker 20 Sep 2001 11:40 EST
Hi, Amy.  I think your note must be institution specific rather than sponsor
driven.  The prevalent practice of funding multidisciplinary projects involving
many institutions, consortium agreements, and coordinating centers and site
arrangements almost assure that the 33% figure will be exceeded.  If you find
such a restriction imposed by NIH I would certainly be interested.  see ya.
Amy Hibbard wrote:

> Hello all-
> I'm preparing an NIH budget for an R01 that will have two Co-PI subcontracts
> and a consultant, all of which adds up to a hefty chunk of the final budget.
> I have in my Notes-To-Self a budget limitation that reads as follows: "The
> total amount of all consultant costs and contractual costs normally may not
> exceed 33% of the total costs requested."
> Is this correct?  I searched around for something that listed the
> limitations on subcontracts, but I keep going in circles.  Can anyone give
> me some information on this?
> Thanks,
> -Amy
>
> "All power corrupts, but we need the electricity."
>
> Amy Hibbard
> Grants Administrator
> Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences
> 535 Watson Drive, Claremont, CA 91711
> T: (909) 607-9313 / 607-7855
> F: (909) 607-8086
> xxxxxx@kgi.edu