Re: Who can be a PI? Jon Elizabeth Hart 19 Sep 2001 12:32 EST

Jane,
At Rockefeller, we have the following policy:
Any full time faculty member can be a PI
Postdocs can be PIs on fellowships and, with their Lab Head (= Dept Chair
at other places) approval, can apply for R01s or equivalents as new
investigators.  We get Lab Head approval for all applications within labs.
Adjunct faculty and Visiting faculty are not eligible; exceptions can be
made only with approval of the President's office.
People with joint appointments are eligible, but pose special problems
internally.
Hope this helps.
Joni.