Re: NIH & IACUC question Charlie Hathaway 17 Sep 2001 12:45 EST

My understanding is that you will need to acknowledge animal use and abide by usual IACUC regs if the data or material donated is produced specifically for your project.  Even if it is not (e.g. tissue supplied by someone with extras while working on something else), the importance of the data/material to your project may mean that your IACUC needs to be involved.

C. Hathaway

At 12:50 PM 9/17/01 -0400, you wrote:
>We have a PI applying for an RO1 grant for research that includes animal
>studies done by a colleague at another institution.   We are requesting no
>funding for the other institution; the researcher there is routinely
>involved in these types of collaborations with his only compensation being
>credit in papers and presentations.       In the past we've checked NO for
>animals on the cover page because no animal research is done here, but the
>directions this year imply we should check YES.        Does our IACUC have
>to review these animal studies?     How can we certify compliance with
>another institution's IACUC?     Do we have to have a "consortium agreement"
>even though we are requesting no funding?    This is getting complicated --
>any advice would be appreciated.
>

>Frances Farnsworth
>MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
>
>Frances Vinal Farnsworth
>Coordinator of Sponsored Research
>MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
>Munford House
>Middlebury, VT 05753
>Tel:  802-443-5889
>Fax: 802-443-2081
>Email:  xxxxxx@middlebury.edu

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs