Re: Help - IRB Training Barbara Gray 29 Aug 2001 13:48 EST

Mary,

The DHHS/OHRP site where you can register your IRB an get your Federalwide
assurance (thus doing away with the old SPA) has a required on-line web
tutorial for the IRB Chair and the IRB administrator.  It is perfectly
appropriate for all IRB members for educational purposes.  Our IRB evaluated
several on-line training tools for faculty and liked the NIH one best
(http://cme.nci.nih.gov) because it is the most generic.  Between these two
tutorials, your IRB members should get a pretty good overview of the ethical
priciples, the regs, and their responsibilities.

We also give our IRB members copies of excerpts from the Guidebook.  We don't
burden them with the sections that don't apply to a social-behavioral IRB.  We
encourage them to refer to this book for guidance in implementing the regs and
carrying out their responsibilties.

I have yet to find any on-line tutorials that are not fairly clinically
oriented.  For now, at least, it seems that, because social-behavioral IRBs
still have to adhere to regs designed primarily for clinical rsearch, we will
have to also live with clinically slanted training programs.

BG

Mary Watson wrote:

> Does anyone have access to, or knowledge of, any IRB Research Training
> materials, preferably interactive CD's or some such, that is appropriate
> for the use of small universities with primarily social science resarch,
> limited research in other areas and no FDA involvement?   If so, could you
> please point me in the right dirction to locate same?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mary Watson
>
> Mary H. Watson
> Director, Grants and Contracts
> Room 215, Regional Center for Continuing Education
> Valdosta State University
> Valdosta, GA  31698
>
> 229-333-7837 (phone)
> 229-245-3853 (Fax)

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/