Re: Hiring a Part-time Employee for additional hours Farnsworth, Franci 24 Aug 2001 09:51 EST

We have a number of affiliated researchers who are allowed to apply for
grants and have a courtesy ID card, but no office space or other benefits.
Their appointment letter provides a base salary which we use in developing
grant budgets.      This would be a variation of Barbara Gray's approach.
Create a research appointment with appropriate base salary.    Then if the
institution wants to hire the part-time researcher to teach, I think the
institutional per course reimbursement could be used without being in
violation of A-21 (the same way institutions already hire two part-time
employees at different rates for different job descriptions).

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
Munford House