Re: Hiring a Part-time Employee for additional hours Barbara Gray 24 Aug 2001 08:28 EST

Janet and all,
Can the person's appointment be totally renegotiated?  Instead of adding on
to his/her already existing part-time position, how about deleting the
part-time teaching position and creating a full-time position (either
temporary or permanent, as your resources and state and institutional
policies allow) with a competitive salary .  Part of the job
responsibilities would be teaching (to be paid by institutional funds) and
part project specific tasks (to be paid by grant funds.)  Of course, percent
times would have to be legitimate for T&E reporting.  True 50/50 would still
mean that, in this case,  the institution would have to fork over more for
the teaching part. But the project might be such that it could support 75%
of the person's time with only 25% going to teaching.  Just a thought on a
different way to interpret different position arrangements....
Barbara

"Hahn, Janet M" wrote:

> I have an additional personnel question.  I am currently creating a FAQ
> document dealing with personnel questions for our campus.  It is forcing
> clarification in a number of areas.  I came across a section of AMB A-21
> that I had managed to forget.
>
> OMB A-21 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a021/a021.html) states
> that
> “Charges for work performed on sponsored agreements by faculty members
> having only part-time appointments will be determined at a rate not in
> excess of that regularly paid for the part-time assignments. For
> example, an institution pays $5,000 to a faculty member for half-time
> teaching during the academic year. He devoted one-half of his remaining
> time to a sponsored agreement. Thus, his additional compensation,
> chargeable by the institution to the agreement, would be one-half of
> $5,000, or $2,500.”
>
> This is unclear to me.  We pay adjunct faculty at a rate similar to the
> one quoted in the now venerable A-21, probably because of supply and
> demand.  If such a faculty member would also be hired for project
> coordination, that rate might be higher, based on similar salaries on
> campus.  Would we really be basing it on the lower adjunct teaching
> salary the individual was currently making?
>
> Janet
>
> Janet M. Hahn, CRA
> Executive Director
> Sponsored Programs and Grants Management
> Box 6926                               tel:  540-831-5479
> Radford University                   fax: 540-831-6636
> Radford, VA 24142-6926          xxxxxx@radford.edu

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/