Re: RCR TRAINING?!?!? Herbert B. Chermside 13 Aug 2001 17:05 EST

My understanding of what's absolutely required is the same as yours. I
think it inescapable, however, that some requirement for training in RCR
will be mandated. COGR, representing the research university community,
objected to the proposed RCR "guidelines" not on the principle that
training was bad, but on the principle that the "guidelines" were a) being
introduced in an inappropriate form, in that they were so prescriptive that
they should have been regulation, and b) they were too prescriptive,
because "not one size fits all". I also note that increasing numbers of
institutions are offering material in RCR.

SRA is offering this teleconference because administrators MUST understand
many of the parts of RCR that also involve regulatory compliance, and
should understand lots about the grey areas. We also thing that the
material we present would be useful for faculty, trainees and other
practitioners of science both for their personal edification and to meet at
least some RCR training that might be required.

The language about "required RCR" was a slip up -- but there is a great
need for RCR training.  That's why SRA and the specific individuals are
involved!!

Chuck

At 10:39 AM 8/13/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Okay, so let's get this straight.  Last I heard, the ORI requirement for
>the training in the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) was on
>indefinite hold.  So why is the Society of Research Administrators (SRA)
>continuing to say"...ORI requires that all research personnel be trained
>by October 1, 2003..." in their promotion of their compliance
>teleconference?  Also, and more concerning, why am I getting requests from
>NIH (on non-competing applications no less) for evidence of investigators
>having met this not-yet-in-effect requirement?  There is specific language
>in the Research Career Award (K) section of the "new" NIH 2590 forms (page
>15 and 16) regarding the requirement, but given that a) the new forms are
>not yet "required" and b) the RCR training is not yet "required," why is
>this being requested?  Am I missing something?   Are the K's considered
>"training" whereby the current RCR guidelines for "trainees" apply and
>they are just now starting to ask for evidence of completion?
>
>How are others RESADMers handling this?
>
>NIH and SRA reps please feel free to reply as well.
>
>Thanks.
>
>   -  Pete
>

>Peter C. Koch, MBA
>Director, Research Sponsored Programs