Re: PHS 398 Doug Mounce 10 Aug 2001 09:22 EST

When "personalizing" these forms, I use the principle that if the format
appears exactly as the NIH has it, then you have succeeded regardless of
the software.  In other words, it doesn't matter to the form whether you
use Adobe or Microsoft products.

The only concern is that you "forge" a document which matches the format.
This principle does not apply in the same way to uploading information on
the Fastlane where the submission is electronic rather than the ink on
paper which NIH still requires.  Nevertheless, NIH's primary interest is
scanning to convert paper to electronic information, and I am likewise
very interested in those forges where research administrators are
hammering-out of the electronics an acceptable piece of paper.

Doug Mounce
Department of Pediatrics
University of Washington