Re: Code on Allowable Time on Federal Grants ?? Hastings, Kari L 20 Jul 2001 08:54 EST

This issue was grappled with many years ago now between NIH an dDept of Veterans
Affairs. They ended up with a policy that utilized a Memorandum of Understanding
between the VA and the Affiliated University/medical school  that outlines
percent effort and salary to be allocated from grants administered by each
insitution. A level above 40 hours per week couold thus be establishe but it was
expected that this level would be reasonable ie no more than 60 hours per week.
You can find the procedures to be followed in PHS 398 instructions - I.B.4
Detailed budget for initial budget period. Kari

-----Original Message-----
From: MSU [mailto:xxxxxx@MURRAYSTATE.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 9:46 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Code on Allowable Time on Federal Grants ??

Folks:

I know the NSF will not allow a researcher to augment their regular salary
during the academic year. However, can anyone tell me if its written in the
federal code that an individual working on any federal grant cannot devote more
than 100% of their time to federal projects.  Specifically, a faculty could not
devote themselves fulltime to one federal project then commit to work on another
federal project at the same time, at least legally.

Michael