REPLY-- Re: [RESADM-L] IDC rate negotiation Steve Bradley 14 Jun 2001 09:39 EST
Amy,

Here are some resources that may be of assistance with your Facilities &
Administrative Cost (formerly known as IDC) rate development and negotiation.

1) Besides the DHHS Guide that you mention below, obviously the most
authoritative information source is OMB Circular A-21

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a021/a021.html#exc

2) Also, NACUBO has a fine primer "F&A Rates" course, which includes an
informative workbook

http://www.nacubo.org/professional_development/

3) In addition, the National Assoc. of Coll. Cost Accountants (NACCA) has its
own List-serve which serves as the national communication mechanism on F&A
issues.

http://www.costaccounting.org/

4) Finally, there are consultants who may serve to lead universities during
negotiations.  Many are former federal negotiators.  Although not inexpensive,
such may warrant consideration (i.e., your institutional F&A Proposal includes
a much increased rate).  Please call if you need suggestions.

Regards,
Steve