Re: NSF-CCLI web-based survey for PI's Mary Watson 04 Jun 2001 09:05 EST

Is this just the one program or is it more widespread through NSF?

Mary

At 09:30 AM 6/4/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>The NSF-CCLI program has sent a web-based survey to PI's that includes a
>question asking for the amount, source, and use (eg, dissemination,
>equipment, etc) for all non-NSF funds spent on project.    Although they
>indicate that data will not be attributed to specific projects, they also
>indicate "respondents should be able to substantiate the claims and numbers
>reported, and to provide examples upon request."     There is no requirement
>that this cost-share documentation be verified by the financial office.
>
>Should we be concerned that NSF is collecting information about cost-sharing
>directly from PI's?   Because a significant portion of our cost-share is
>comprised of in-kind contributions and indirect costs associated with
>cost-shared salaries, it is not likely to be reported by PI's which will
>make it look like we aren't meeting cost-share requirements should NSF use
>this information to evaluate the specific project.
>
>Any thoughts on this survey or advice from those with more experience in
>such things?
>
>Frances Vinal Farnsworth
>Coordinator of Sponsored Research
>MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
>Munford House
>Middlebury, VT 05753
>Tel:  802-443-5889
>Fax: 802-443-2081
>Email:  xxxxxx@middlebury.edu

Mary H. Watson
Director, Grants and Contracts
Room 215, Regional Center for Continuing Education
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698

229-333-7837 (phone)
229-245-3853 (Fax)