Re: request for copies....... Sally Eckert-Tilotta 22 May 2001 15:51 EST

Sorry, that's not the interpretation in our state.  All of our records are subject to our open records act, with its exclusions on medical records, personnel records, marked proprietary info.  So  the records regarding a privately funded grant becomes public when we enter it into our records (i.e. when funded).  Those documents or parts of documents that are confidential must be clearly marked confidential for us to prevent release.  We don't pull budgets or anything else that is not marked.

Sally Eckert-Tilotta, Ph.D., Interim Director
Office of Research & Program Development
University of North Dakota
PO Box 7134
Grand Forks, ND  58202
Tel:  701-777-2049
Fax:  701-777-2504
Email:  xxxxxx@mail.und.nodak.edu

>>> kma7850u <xxxxxx@POSTOFFICE.URI.EDU> 05/22/01 03:34PM >>>
Good question. I am talking about federal and state government-funded
proposals. Those are the documents governed by the state and federal freedom
of information acts.

-- Karen

*********************************
>Karen,
>Are you saying that ALL funded proposals are "public documents"? or do you
>just mean Federal or state government-funded proposals?  If a proposal is
>funded by a private foundation is it then a public document?
>Our experience is that federal grants are public info and we can share them
>- removing the budget info and asking the PI as a courtesy.  For private
>funding, we would always get PI permission first, and still remove budget
>info.  Sometimes the PI gives us permission to share, and we put a note in
>the file that says we have permission to share (again, all but budget).
>
>Diana Thompson Vincelli
>Associate Director
>Office of Foundation & Government Grants
>Room G-14, Maryland Hall
>University of Richmond, VA  23173
>804/289-8005, 804/287-6491 fax
>xxxxxx@richmond.edu