Re: Maintaining Copies of Proposals Mary Watson 22 May 2001 14:57 EST

Unfunded proposals - send back once a year with suggestions for
resubmitting, etc.

Funded proposals - keep for 5 years, box and stow away for 3 more then
return to faculty (if still on campus) or simply purge

At 02:33 PM 5/22/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>7 years!!!
>
>As soon as we know that they are not funded, we send a memo to the PI
>stating the proposal was not funded.  Then we only keep the proposal for
>about a year.
>
>Domenica
>
>At 12:22 PM 5/22/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>Sally's response brings up a question for me - how long do you keep
>>proposals?  We have them for 7 years back, and I'm getting ready to purge
>>them again and want to keep only 3 years of proposals.
>>
>>What is everyone else doing?
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Carol Brodie
>>Office of Sponsored Programs
>>University of the Pacific
>>Stockton, CA  95211

>>We are also a state institution and subject to an open records act, but
>>proposals in my opinion (and our general counsel agrees) are DRAFT
>>documents and not subject to the act.  If the proposal is funded, then the
>>final document is put into the file of record (or the draft document
>>becomes a final document) and then is subject to requests.  We do not keep
>>proposals in our files beyond a year, unless the proposal is still being
>>considered.   I feel strongly and make it a habit of clearly delineating
>>records (subject to open records) vs non-records (not subject).
>>
>>Sally Eckert-Tilotta, Ph.D., Interim Director

>*******************************************************************************************************************
>Domenica G. Pappas
>Assistant Director
>Office of Sponsored Research and Programs
>Illinois Institute of Technology
>3300 S. Federal Street
>Main Building, Room 301H
>Chicago, IL 60616
>
>Phone:          (312) 567-3035
>Fax:            (312) 567-6980
>Email:          xxxxxx@iit.edu
>
>web:            www.iit.edu

Mary H. Watson
Director, Grants and Contracts
Room 215, Regional Center for Continuing Education
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698

229-333-7837 (phone)
229-245-3853 (Fax)