Re: request for copies of grant proposals Domenica G. Pappas 22 May 2001 12:58 EST

I agree with Mary -- in addition, we pull the budget pages.

Domenica

At 01:45 PM 5/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Our office generally shares proposals ONLY if the PI agrees to do so and
>then the person wanting the proposal is directd to the PI for a copy.  I
>would never feel comfortable sharing a proposal without the PI knowing
>about it and agreeing to it - no matter what the proposal/project was.
>
>Mary
>
>At 12:36 PM 5/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi Everyone,
>>
>>I need some advice. My office recently had a request from an administrator
>>who had helped with the editting on a recent grant proposal that was a
>>collaborative effort among our faculty.  My office has always denied such
>>requests and left it to the PI to share the proposal with others if he or
>>she wanted to do so.  In this case the PI is an administrator and has no
>>problem sharing the proposal with the administrator who requested it.
>>However, there are three faculty co-PIs and two faculty associates whose
>>research is also described in the proposal. When I communicated our
>>office's practice, the administrator who wanted the proposal for her files
>>was extremely upset.  Has anyone ever run into similar situtations. Do you
>>share proposals with other administrative offices? Advancement for example?
>>If you share proposals, where do you draw the line? If you don't share
>>proposals, how do you explain this practice to others?
>>
>>Please let me know if I am making much to do about nothing because
>>certainly some of my colleagues don't understand why I am being so stubborn
>>on this.
>>
>>Donna Berger
>>Coordinator, Academic Grants
>>Marist College
>>Phone: 845-575-3670

>Mary H. Watson
>Director, Grants and Contracts
>Room 215, Regional Center for Continuing Education
>Valdosta State University
>Valdosta, GA  31698
>
>229-333-7837 (phone)
>229-245-3853 (Fax)

Domenica G. Pappas
Assistant Director
Office of Sponsored Research and Programs
Illinois Institute of Technology
3300 S. Federal Street
Main Building, Room 301H
Chicago, IL 60616