Re: request for copies of grant proposals Mary Watson 22 May 2001 12:45 EST

Our office generally shares proposals ONLY if the PI agrees to do so and
then the person wanting the proposal is directd to the PI for a copy.  I
would never feel comfortable sharing a proposal without the PI knowing
about it and agreeing to it - no matter what the proposal/project was.

Mary

At 12:36 PM 5/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I need some advice. My office recently had a request from an administrator
>who had helped with the editting on a recent grant proposal that was a
>collaborative effort among our faculty.  My office has always denied such
>requests and left it to the PI to share the proposal with others if he or
>she wanted to do so.  In this case the PI is an administrator and has no
>problem sharing the proposal with the administrator who requested it.
>However, there are three faculty co-PIs and two faculty associates whose
>research is also described in the proposal. When I communicated our
>office's practice, the administrator who wanted the proposal for her files
>was extremely upset.  Has anyone ever run into similar situtations. Do you
>share proposals with other administrative offices? Advancement for example?
>If you share proposals, where do you draw the line? If you don't share
>proposals, how do you explain this practice to others?
>
>Please let me know if I am making much to do about nothing because
>certainly some of my colleagues don't understand why I am being so stubborn
>on this.
>
>Donna Berger
>Coordinator, Academic Grants
>Marist College
>Phone: 845-575-3670

Mary H. Watson
Director, Grants and Contracts
Room 215, Regional Center for Continuing Education
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698

229-333-7837 (phone)
229-245-3853 (Fax)