Re: NSF NSF CCLI-A&I Budget Question Howard M. Kaplan 22 May 2001 11:52 EST

I interpret the cost sharing requirements for the Adaptation and
Implementation (A&I) Track of NSF's CCLI program a little differently.  I
agree that the non-instrumentation budget request does not have to be
matched on a per item basis.  NSF does, however, stipulate that there must
be an overall 1:1 match (rather than a 50% match) for the
non-instrumentation request as well:

"For CCLI Adaptation and Implementation proposals only, the entire budget
request must be matched by non-Federal resources equal in value to the funds
requested from NSF.  The non-instrumentation portions of the budget may be
matched in the form of instrumentation, personnel time, etc...."

Best regards,
Howie Kaplan
Director, Research Services & Sponsored Progs.
Georgia Southern University
Hwy. 301 So. Office Bldg., P.O. Box 8005
Statesboro, GA 30460-8005
912-681-5465; FAX: 912-681-0719
xxxxxx@gasou.edu
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Farnsworth, Franci
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 11:38 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] NSF NSF CCLI-A&I Budget Question

There is no Indirect Cost limitation on CCLI proposals.     You can collect
IDC or use unrecovered IDC as part of the match.   The guidelines say
exactly what you quote -- 1:1 cash match on equipment, 50% match for all
other project costs but not on a per item basis and not necessarily cash
(in-kind, indirect costs, volunteer time, donated property -- all are
allowable).     Reveiwers don't always understand the budget guidelines,
however, so they will comment on cost-sharing that they don't think is
appropriate (eg, unrecovered IDC); I haven't figured out how to advise
faculty to write budget justifications that will head off these comments.

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
Munford House